- Competitors may make notes whilst reading which can be referred to when answering comprehension questions. Blank paper will be provided on request.
- Competitors may use their own tools. For example, reading guides.
- Noise creation is not permitted during reading.
- Competitors may not use mobile phones.
Timings for events:
- 9:30am Competitors start reading the book.
- Each competitor is timed. One arbiter per 3-4 competitors with a mobile phone app or stopwatch. If using a phone this must be set to silent mode.
- As soon as a competitor has finished reading they must clearly signal by closing the book and raising their hand. Their time is recorded, the book is taken away and they are given the comprehension question paper.
- At 11:30am competitors must stop reading. If they have not completed the book their final page number is recorded, the book is taken away and they are given the comprehension question paper.
- Competitors have an additional 30 minutes to finish answering the questions.
- 12:00pm competition ends and books may be returned to competitors.
- Arbiters mark the comprehension papers by comparing to model answers provided by the author. A maximum of 5 points per correct answer.
- In the case of competitors who did not finish the book only questions that could be answered up to the point where they stopped are marked.
- If possible, the author should be available to moderate marked papers and adjust scores accordingly.
- Arbiters are anyone from the Guild of Mind Sports Arbiters (GOMSA) at Level 2, 3 and 4
- To contact GOMSA Arbiters please click HERE
Disqualifications and Right of Appeal
Criteria as per the World Memory Championships.